Thursday, June 27, 2013

Half a hot dog bun away from being obese

I was touring Australia to collect census data on fitness for a huge graph on the home page of the National Health website.

I asked every person I met to ride a kanagaroo for five minutes after eating half a hot dog bun.  If the person did very well - stayed on the kangaroo, got the kangaroo up to its top speed, and seemed relaxed rather than exhausted at the end - then I would playfully refer to their high fitness level as being "half a hot dog bun away from being obese".  If someone was average or poor, I simply thanked them for participating.

The last such instance before I woke took place in an abandoned parking lot with a group of eight women on a "hen tour"  - soccer mom besties taking a fortnight off from their husbands and kids. 

I sat at the back of the converted school bus they were using to travel across country and handed out the hot dog bun pieces.  Somehow I miscounted and there weren't enough hot dog bun halves to go round.  I gave the last woman a Dorito chip and a soft corn tortilla instead, hoping it was an equivalent amount of calories. 

Then the kangaroo arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment