Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The department of transportation

My dream world last night was very busy with intrigue, lapses in narrative flow, and blatant disregard for the rules of physics.  But what I remember best about last night's kaleidoscope of vignettes was that I took every possible form of transportation, including something that hasn't been invented yet.

There were planes, trains, and automobiles as well as a cross-country journey on foot, at the onset of the apocalypse.  My final dream was of sightseeing in Manhattan with my family.  We exited a taxi, took an elevator to the 11th floor of a historical building on Columbia U campus, and boarded what I had assumed would be a train, for a quick five-block journey.  Instead, after 11 people were packed into the small cabin, we were instructed to put on our seatbelts and our hovercopter rose into the air. 

We watched the varied New York landscape whiz by as we descended and rose, always keeping fifteen feet off the ground.  The copter followed a crow's trajectory and rather than avoid the constant obstacle highrises, simply skimmed up and over them.  It was a roller coaster subway ride I'll never forget.

Finally we landed on another roof and disembarked.  My sister and I tipped the driver and then set off on the most urgent task of that moment: locating the restroom.



No comments:

Post a Comment