Monday, September 13, 2010

Free: one treehouse. Not running. You pick up. Reply to 1950210878@craigslist.org

I was working on world peace with an Israeli commando named Sid.  We drove through the streets of town in a Hummer.  He said a lot of things that seemed wise.  I wish I could remember a single one.

My headache is back with a vengeance.  Again I have neglected to drink enough water.  Again the angry gorrillas in my neck.  I think going to the gym inadvisable under these circumstances.

Before the commando I was living in a defective treehouse; the nails that held it together were coming out on the side that faced a fence but the house was totally intact on the other side, that faced the parking lot;  I knew I had to fix it or give up, but I couldn't bring myself to take it down.  My guy friends were dropping in with the kind of advice you'd give for car trouble.

I ended up in an auto store, looking at the parts they'd recommended: carburetor; spark plugs.  I described the situation to the white-haired clerk and he shook his head.  "There's no hope," he said.  "That thing is toast."  According to him, once a treehouse was on the decline, repairs just made it worse; you just had to accept it and move on.

A long-ago ex-boyfriend happened to be my next visitor and I mentioned this to him.  He nodded, gave a half-smile, breathed in; I waited expectantly.  It was a completely familiar experience.  He had always seemed calm and comforting when confronted with intractable problems. 

He'd breathe, nod, smile, and then take a long time to say something that either was an utterly generic platitude or sometimes a complete non sequitur.  At the time I found it infuriating, but in the dream it was kind of endearing.

After a very long pause, he said, "I'm sorry."

He turned into a guy friend I used to work with; he started pulling ropes and banging on the sides of the treehouse.  As the structure slowly toppled I yelled, "What the hell are you doing?  I didn't ask you to bring it down!" 

He shrugged, made a guy apology - that mysterious combination of genuine yet totally un-guilty that as a girl I will never, ever understand.  "Sorry," SHRUG, "I thought that was what you needed."

I walked around and around the fallen treehouse, pressed my palms together and rubbed them anxiously, while an army of frantic gerbils raced on stationary wheels in my brain. 

Maybe I could get some burly friends to push it back up.  Maybe I could buy extra wood and nail it back together stronger.  Maybe I could live on it sideways.

I woke up to drymouth and the familiar pulsing in my head.  I think I should be taking recreational drugs and drinking a lot more at this rate.  My dad  has a saying about wishing he'd been at the party the night before to refer to this hungover-for-no-reason feeling.

It's grey outside.  It's 8am.  If I drink a shit ton of water in the next fifteen minutes with more drugs maybe I'll feel good enough to drag myself to the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment