Sunday, December 2, 2012

Ex sex without the sex

I was working as a nanny and I had the night off, which was very unusual - in my dream life as in real life I worked many hours at my job.  My science experiments do need a lot of babysitting so maybe the distinction between child care and biology research isn't as sharp as one might think.

It was the end of my shift and I was getting set to board the elevator that served as the door to the penthouse - my employer's lifestyle was opulent, to say the least.  The door opened and my last long term boyfriend stepped out, pushing a rack of mens' suits.  He had just flown in on business from Toronto, and wanted to know if I was free for dinner.

I have not dated men in any serious way since meeting my first girlfriend 15 years ago, so our relationship was literally in different decade.  In my dream I was still married but separated from my wife.

We went back to my place to change.  I shared a renovated very open floor plan 70s-era two bedroom apartment with my sister, who was in the living room virtual-snowboarding on the X Box when we arrived.  We chatted with her while I scoured the hall closet for an outfit.  My ex came up behind me, spooning me upright.  I leaned into him.  Sighed. 

I remembered suddenly that we had another roommate.  "When is mom due home from work?" I asked my sister.  She told me 430.  I checked my phone: 438.  Not enough time. 

I woke up.  Looked in urban dictionary for "c-blocked by your dream mom".  Found nothing. There *was* an interesting thread trying to decide on a female equivalent for b-balled.  No one had proposed the term I heard from a friend in grad school: t-walled.  Hilarious.

When I stopped dating men I was 27.  I knew virtually nothing about women as erotic partners, aside from the years I had spent in my own body.

As an aside, I find the common* straight male assumption that women have a "home field advantage" in lesbian interactions just a little annoying.  It's not that I can't see the value of knowing the terrain; but these same straight men never mention their own hypothetical home field advantage as a plus should they ever suddenly wake up gay one morning.

(*this statement is not based on a blinded, controlled scientific study but on hundreds of datapoints collected from dozens of straight men in too-many-to-count conversations between the ages of 19 and 40.... but if I had ever bothered to track the numbers, I would bet it is at least statistically significant.)

The dream felt curiously healing.  I stood for a few minutes in front of the mirror and realized that today I don't hate my body.

It's 824 am.  Sunday.  Time to go babysit the science experiments.  In the afternoon I'll be dancing with one of my favourite leads.  His partner is a great lead too.  I think I'll wear something nice.  Something I might wear to dinner, if I was trying to seduce my ex.

No comments:

Post a Comment