Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Prison camp for women

I spent the vast majority of my dream locked in a prison camp for "disobedient women".  The buildings were made of rough unfinished wooden boards.  There was no heat, electricity or running water.  Time passed strangely; it might have been days or years.

It was unclear who was holding us or why.  I had brief, secret affairs with two of the other inmates.  It was frantic and intensely erotic as we believed that discovery would result in some terrible, unknowable retribution.

We made endless attempts to escape, each thwarted and derided as unoriginal, the prison guards' scolding accompanied by a soul-crushing litany of the number of times that exact strategy had been unsuccessfully deployed by a former inmate.

Finally, two of us managed to escape through holes we'd made in the outer chicken-wire fence, only to observe an extraction team descend on the camp minutes later and arrest our captors.  The world we were released into was bleaker than we remembered, our victory over imprisonment entirely anti-climactic.

Later I was working in my lab.  My printer broke down so I went down the hall to ask another lab group if they had any suggestions for how to fix it.  A woman on the couch in the break room said I could use her lab printer instead.

On my way back to my lab, I was stopped by the head of a different lab, our direct neighbour. 

She was flushed, her words clipped.  "You have your fingers in everything, don't you?  You walk around this department using up whatever you like even if it doesn't belong to you." 

I stood there stunned, unable to think of an appropriate reply.

She moved closer, put her hand on the center of my chest, and pushed me back several times for emphasis. "This.  Has got. To stop."

When I got home, my roommate had let her new Burmese kitten out on the balcony.  Rather than play or explore, the kitten sat on the railing of the balcony staring at us with palpable disdain.

A dark shape in my peripheral vision.  I looked up and saw my upstairs neighbour's pet, a human-sized flying demon, perched on the balcony above us.  Suddenly it leaped into the air, and began a dive headed straight toward us.  I barely had time to scoop the kitten out of harms' way.  The demon's claws grazed my knuckles, a hot sulfuric wind burned my eyes.  It emitted a frustrated shriek and slow-flap-flapped its enormous leathery wings to climb back up to its own balcony.

I woke with dry mouth and a headache.  I need to drink more water.

No comments:

Post a Comment